Archive for the Song category

Grant

Day 119: Weds 23 Dec 2015

Audio, Featuring Trudi McBoody, Song, Spoken Word, Tracks No Comment

Staring Agamemnon In The Face:

I began today by making a beat in ElasticDrums and jamming it at 80 bpm into Auria with Dedalus and AltiSpace, then running it through AUFX:Dub turning the effect on here and there.

Then I repeated the process but at 40 bpm.

Next I loaded the effected 80 bpm file, and both the effected and uneffected 40 bpm’s into Auria where I panned, mixed, and arranged them into a Beatscape.

I felt a little more was needed so I opened up Alchemy and used my favourite drum kit to add some cavernous hits. While I was in Alchemy I decided to add the occasional synth swell, and then a bassline.

Now it sounded less like a Beatscape and more like a song, so I decided to try adding some words.

I opened up Evernote where I have lists: of song ideas, interesting words, and possible titles. I managed to write a stanza so I opened up iSpeech TTS and gave it to Trudi McBoody (the female British voice) and the male british voice. I loaded them into AudioShare and added a little Reverb FDN, then opened them in TwistedWave to slow them by 80% (I find this gives them a little more realism). Next I decided to add my own voice so I recited it in AudioShare with Reverb and slowed it down. The next step was to open them in their own Auria project and align all the phrases before adding the combined file into the main project for the final step of arranging the vocals on the timeline.

Grant

Day 99: Thursday 3 Dec 2015

Audio, Song, Spoken Word, Tracks No Comment

The Money Shot:

A Song.

The main element here is an arpeggio from iSem recorded to AudioShare, which I effected with Dedalus and DubFilter before adding both versions to Auria. Then I added the synth crashes using Addictive Synth and gave some lyrics to Trudi using iSpeech TTS, AltiSpace, AUFX:Space, and TwistedWave.

Grant

Day 96: Monday 30 Nov 2015

Audio, EDM, Song, Spoken Word, Tracks 2 Comments

How Come It’s So Smokey In Here Ma?:

Genre unknown. From now on if it’s got drums and bass and notes and vocals and stuff…I’m just gonna call it a Song.

I started with Arpeggist driving iMini, MitoSynth, iFretless Bass, Animoog, and Animoog For iPhone, through MiMix in AudioBus into AudioShare. That’s a lot of apps to make one little bassline, but there you go. It actually ended up as only a small part of the track.

I made a matching beat in ElasticDrums and recorded it into AudioShare before adding Dedalus and AUFX:Dub. Then I combined all three in Auria and made an arrangement.

Next I turned to Addictive Synth and added: an occasional synth stab, another occasional synth stab (with a different patch of course), two long synth crashes (slightly different and panned hard left and right) which became the intro, an arpeggiated line, and another arrpeggiated line at twice the speed.

Now it’s already a much more complicated track than I usually do; 14 apps and 9 audio tracks. My stuff is usually far simpler, not necessarily in app numbers but certainly in tracks,  but some people regularly get much more complicated.

I’m confused about this. Am I too simple? Should I aim to be more complicated? Is my modus operandi of ‘making shit up as I go along’ and ‘do it, move on’ enough? Does it produce decent music?

I don’t know.

It does suit this blog I suppose 🙂

Anyway It was beginning to sound a little song like, so I decided to try some vocals. Gulp.

I wrote some words and sang them into two tracks which I panned and effected etc. I’m not sure I did a good job but what the hell…

Oh and I decided that one of the arpeggiated tracks didn’t fit so I muted that.

Thanks for listening.

Grant

Day 93: Friday 27 Nov 2015

Audio, EDM, Song, Spoken Word, Tracks, Uncategorized No Comment

Profit of the Bored (featuring Trudi McBoody):

Genre Unknown 🙂

Another play with my Patterning drum kit into AudioShare effected with Dedalus was the start of this track. I loaded it into Auria and added a Poseidon arp bass patch that I made the other day. Then I loaded PhaseRings into a track and jammed along.

Finally a wrote a little lyric and typed it into iSpeech TTS, imported the result to AudioShare, effected it with AltiSpace, slowed it by 80% and lowered it by 1 semitone in TwistedWave, and imported the result to Auria for arranging.

Ta Da!

Grant

Day 77: Weds 11 Nov 2015

Audio, EDM, Song, Spoken Word, Tracks 3 Comments

Medusa:

Oh oh more singing!

I don’i know what genre to use to describe this one. It’s got a synth arp and vocals, so in my book that makes it pop 🙂 Or Electronic Pop…or something. Give me your opinions please.

I began by playing in Addictive Synth until I came up with this arpeggio which I recorded into AudioShare with my ‘special secret sauce’ i.e. Dedalus, AUFX:Space, and AUFX:Dub, then I moved it to Auria.

Next I made a simple drum beat in DM1 at half the bpm of the arp and recorded it into AudioShare with the Secret Sauce. It seemed a little straight so I added another DM1 beat at the full bpm with just high hats that I blended in at low volume.

I still wasn’t happy with the drums so I loaded up DrumJam and recorded an African beat while hitting some snare here and there. Then I did it again with a different beat.

Okay, so far so good.

I’ve had this little lyric lying around for getting on to two decades, intending to turn it into a song; but somehow it never happened. It’s been living in my head for the last week or two, and I’ve been hoping to find a place for it. Today was the day!

I spoke and sang it straight into Auria using my headphone mike. To my ear it sounds like I’ve sung it with a slight english accent, I’m not sure why that is.

Anyhoo…enjoy 🙂

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 125 other subscribers